G. & J. Weir Limited

Allgemeines

FirmennameG. & J. Weir Limited
OrtssitzCathcart (b. Glasgow)
Art des UnternehmensMaschinenfabrik
Anmerkungen1895 Zusatz "Holm Foundry", am River Cart. [Hartmann-Knoke: Pumpen (1897) 376]: "G. & J. Weir in Holm Foundry Glasgow". Eine Bedienungsanleitung (1942; eBay) nennt die Ortssitze Cathcart und Glasgow gleichrangig. GrundstĂŒck (1886): 9,5 acres. In Glasgow: Hyde Park Street, Jamaica Street und Commerce Street
Quellenangaben[VDI 47 (1903) 1143] [Maver: Glasgow 1830 to 1912 (1994) 120] [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] [Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 500]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1861 Weir bringt seinen Regler fĂŒr Dampfschiffe heraus
1871/72 James Weir und sein Bruder George Weir bilden eine Partnerschaft als beratende Ingenieure unter der Firma "G. & J. Weir & Co." mit Sitz in Liverpool.
1871 Patentierung einer Dreifachexpansionsmaschine und eines SpeisewasservorwĂ€rmers fĂŒr Verbundmaschinen
1873 Umzug des Werkes nach Glasgow, Hyde Park Street, Jamaica Street und Commerce Street
1874 EinfĂŒhrung des "Hydrokineter", um eine Zirkulation des Wassers in Schiffskesseln zu erreichen.
1878 Weir's Konservierer fĂŒr Hochdruckkessel wird patentiert. Er verhindert Korrosion durch im Speisewasser gelöste Luft.
1886 G. und J. Weir errichten die Holm Foundry in Cathcart
1888 Auf der Ausstellung in Glasgow werden SpeisewasservorwÀrmer, Kondensatoren und Verdampfer ausgestellt.
1895 Die Partnerschaft zwischen James und George Weir wird aufgelöst, und es entsteht eine private Gesellschaft "G. & J. Weir Ltd.". George Weir verkauft seine Anteile und verlĂ€ĂŸt das Unternehmen.
1910 James Weir scheidet als Vorsitzender der "G. & J. Weir Ltd." aus.
1933 Erwerbung von "A. G. Mumford"
1959 Übernahme der "Alley & MacLellan Ltd., Polmadie" und "Browett Lindley Ltd., Manchester" von der "Glenfield & Kennedy Ltd., Kilmarnock"
1967 GesprĂ€che mit "W. H. Allen, Sons & Co." und "Mather & Platt" ĂŒber die Rationalisierung des Pumpen-GeschĂ€fts fĂŒhren nach fast einem Jahr zu keiner Übereinkunft.




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampfluftpumpen 1903 [VDI 47 (1903) 1143] 1903 [VDI 47 (1903) 1143] [VDI 47 (1903) 1143]: fĂŒr Kondensation auf Dampfer "Kaiser Wilhelm II"
Dampfmaschinen          
Dampfpumpen 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] 1933 [Working instructions direct acting feed pump]  
Kessel-Zirkulationsvorrichtungen 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] "hydrokineters or boiler circulators"
Kesselspeiseventile 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] "combination feed check valves"
SpeisewasservorwĂ€rmer 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige] 1894 [Iron, Steel and Coal Times (1894) Anzeige]  




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1886 260        
1895 370        




Allgemeines

ZEIT1888
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTProminent among the most notable of Glasgow's engineering houses stands that of Messrs. G. & J. Weir, of Commerce Street, who have acquired a very eminent reputation by reason of the effective and useful character of their numerous specialities. This representative firm commenced operations in 1871, in Liverpool, and came to Glasgow in 1873, opening in Hyde Park Street, Jamaica Street, and Commerce Street.
Two years ago Messrs. Weir built large works at Cathcart for manufacturing purposes. These are well known as the Holm Foundry, and are most completely equipped with mechanical plant of the newest and best description. Their productive facilities are of a very high order, and have now centralised the whole business by removing their offices to the works, a step which will doubtless result advantageously in many ways to the house. Messrs. Weir employ a large and efficient staff of skilled artisans, engineers, clerks, and draughtsmen, the total force engaged at offices and works numbering upwards of two hundred and sixty. Great success has attended the development of this firm's notable specialities.
As far back as 1861 Messrs. Weir first brought out what is now well and favourably known as Weir's governor for steamships; and in 1871 they patented the triple expansion engine and the feed-water heater for compound engines. The possibilities of success evinced by these two productions first induced Mr. Weir to devote his attention to bringing out these patents to the fullest extent. At first their progress in general favour was slow, but their unquestionable merits soon were recognised, and now 90 per cent, of the large steamships? triple expansion engines are fitted with this firm's connections.
In 1874 Messrs. Weir introduced their famous hydrokineter for effecting the circulation of water in marine boilers; and this invention is now very generally adopted, having been highly commended everywhere by eminent authorities on steam engineering. In 1878 was patented Weir's conserver for high-pressure boilers, designed to prevent corrosion by the extraction of dissolved air contained in the feed-water; and in 1880 the firm accomplished the same object by perfecting a means of preventing the air from mingling with the feed-water in the course of its introduction to the boiler. This was achieved by fitting independent feed-pumps automatically regulated by the water in the hot well. Many other notable developments in feed-pump and valve attachments followed this in rapid succession, and in 1884 the firm introduced another improvement in their evaporator, designed to supply fresh water to make up the waste in the boilers caused by leakage. In 1885 Messrs. Weir introduced their boiler mountings, known as combination feed-checks, which dispense with the bottom and surface blow-off cocks, and also now obviate the use of the hydrokineter.
Nearly all the first-class mail steamers have adopted Messrs. Weir's specialities in their engine equipment, and both the British and foreign Governments have largely employed their various gear in different connections. The firm?s business is particularly notable in its important Chinese relations. Messrs. Weir act as agents for the China Merchants' Steam Navigation Company, and ship all the engineering and shipbuilding materials used in the Foochow arsenal. Their general trade is one of a highly important and influential character; and they maintain valuable connections in prominent engineering circles at home and abroad.
QUELLEhttp://www.glasgowwestaddress.co.uk/1888_Book


ZEIT1895
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTThese works are situated on the river Cart at Cathcart, and were erected about nine years ago by the present proprietors. They comprise an iron foundry, brass foundry, pattern, machine, fitting, and erecting shops; also smithy and boiler shops, and adjuncts. They are devoted to the manufacture of feed-water heaters, feed pumps, evaporators, bilge pumps, and other marine auxiliary gear found in the leading mail and passenger steamships.

The iron foundry contains two cupolas on the Herbertz principle, in which the blast is supplied by a steam jet. The machine shops are equipped with the most modern machine-tools, many of them specially designed; among these may be noted boring machines with facing slides on the spindles, and dividing tables. There are also a variety of facing and screw-cutting lathes by different makers, a side planer, five boring and tapping machines; while in the gallery of the machine shop are to be found some good examples of brass-finishers' turret-lathes, and several lathes for making studs from the bar. In the boiler shop is a special flanging machine for the round plates which form the ends of the evaporators.

The works are served throughout by travelling cranes and by a narrow-gauge shop-railway. A new building to include general and drawing offices is now in course of erection, the present premises being found too small for the growing requirements.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 500]