Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd.

Allgemeines

FirmennameBarclay, Curle & Co. Ltd.
OrtssitzGlasgow
OrtsteilWhiteinch
Stra├čeFinnieston Street
Art des UnternehmensWerft und Maschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenSiehe auch nur "Barclay" und siehe in Greenock. Gr├╝nder: John Barclay, sp├Ąter von seinen S├Âhnen Thomas und Robert ├╝bernommen. Seit 1818 bis 1874 in Stobcross. Auch mit dem Zusatz "Clydeholm Shipyard" (dort seit 1855). Lt. [Maver: Glasgow 1830 to 1912 (1994) 118]: "Robert Barclay began the association with Robert Curle and James Hamilton in 1845 and they were joined by John Ferguson in 1847, and then this partnership began building iron ships" (ohne Angabe, wie die genaue Firma vor und nach dem Eintritt von Ferguson lautete).
Quellenangaben[Kudas: Gesch dt. Passagierschiffahrt I (1986) 155+224] [Glimpses of old Glasgow (Internet)] [Ritchie: Shipbuilding industry (1992) 46] http://www.theglasgowstory.com
Hinweise[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 486]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1818 Gr├╝ndung durch John Barclay in Stobcross, Glasgow, Strathclyde
1845 Robert Barclay nimmt Robert Curle und James Hamilton als Partner auf. Firmierung: "Robert Barclay & Curle"
1847 Eintritt von John Ferguson
1855 Erwerbung der Werft von "J. G. Lawrie" in Clydeholm, Whiteinch
1855 Baubeginn von Eisenschiffen
1857 Beginn des Schiffsmaschinenbaues (bisher nur Schiffbau)
1857 Andrew Maclean und Archibald Gilchrist werden als Partner aufgenommen.
1861 Tod von Robert Barclay
1861 Schaffung einer Maschinenbauabteilung in einem Teil der Bauwerft Clydeholm
1861 Der Arbeitsanfall macht die Einrichtung einer gr├Â├čeren Maschinenbauabteilung in Finnieston Quay erforderlich. Dort wreden Schiffsmaschinen jeder Gr├Â├če gebaut.
1862 Bau eines neuen Werks in Stobcross mit einer Grundfl├Ąche von 19.000 square feet.
1863 Umbenennung in "Barclay, Curle & Co."
1874 Die Werft in Stobcross wird im Zuge der Hafenvergr├Â├čerung an den "Clyde Navigation Trust" verkauft, und die Werft in Clydeholm wird vergr├Â├čert und der gesamte Schiffbau nach hierhin verlagert.
1884 Gr├╝ndung unter der Firma "Barclay, Curle & Company" in Whiteinch in Glasgow, Schottland
1884 Eingetragen als limited company.
1894 Durch den Bau des Hafentunnels wird die Maschinenfabrik zur 36 Finnieston Street und die Kesselschmied zur 90 Kelvinhaugh Street verlagert.
07.01.1900 Tod des Vorsitzenden Archibald Gilcrest (Gilchrist) (geb. 1822 in Port Dundas Inn, Glasgow). - Er war auch Vorsitzender der "Sharp, Stewart & Co" in Springburn.
1902 Die Gesellschaft kauft die Reparaturwerft an der Whitefield Road in Govan
1911/1912 Als erste Werft in Glasgow werden Dieselmotoren in Schiffe eingebaut.
1912 "Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson" ├╝bernimmt die Clydeholm-Werft. Beide Unternehmen haben beherrschene Anteile an den "North British Diesel Engine Works Ltd."
1912 ├ťbernahme der Werft und der Trockendocks von "John Shearer & Sons Ltd." in Elderslie, Scotstoun, Glasgow.
1932 Der Schiffbau wird aus Rationalisierungsgr├╝nden auf den Werften in Clydeholm und Jordanvale konzentriert, und Schiffsreparaturen erfolgen in Govan und Scotstoun.




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Schiffe 1818 Beginn durch John Barclay 1967 Ende mit "Hamlet" (Nr. 657)  
Schiffsdampfmaschinen 1857 Beginn 1902 f├╝r "Sardinia"  




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1895 2000       im Schiffs- und Maschinenbau zusammen




Firmen-Änderungen, Zusammenschüsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen


Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1845 Umbenennung zuvor John Barclay 1845-1863: "Robert Barclay & Curle"




Allgemeines

ZEIT1895
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTWith the extension of their business in 1855 they removed part of their works to the present ship-yard of Clydeholm at Whiteinch; and in 1874, owing to the Glasgow dock extension necessitating their removal from Stobcross, the Clydeholm yard was increased and the whole of the shipbuilding plant removed to the present works. These are commodious and complete in every respect for the efficient and speedy construction of vessels of all sizes and descriptions. They occupy an area of over 13 acres, with about 1,000 feet of river frontage; and comprise eight launching berths, capable of laying down vessels up to 550 feet long.

The buildings are all comparatively modern; the saw mill and joiners' shop with mould loft are perhaps the most commodious of the kind on the Clyde; while the smithy is 200 feet long, including finishing shop and all necessary appliances for heavy forging work. Besides work for the government, the firm have constructed a number of ocean passenger liners, cargo steamers, steam tugs, and steam yachts; and have long been noted for the beautiful models of their sailing ships, and for the success of the light-draught fast passenger paddle-steamers built by them. The latest vessel is the 404th, and the work at present in hand comprises several cargo steamers, one sailing vessel, and a largo steamer of 8,000 tons dead-weight, constructed for carrying frozen meat in cool chambers from New Zealand to this country.

Previous to 1857 the works were only for shipbuilding; but in that year the firm commenced to make engines, not only for ships built by themselves, but for those constructed by others. From 1857 to 1861 the engineering department was carried on in a portion of the building yard at Clydeholm; but in the latter year pressure of work caused new and much larger premises to be secured at Finnieston Quay, where many marine engines of all kinds and sizes were made. In 1894, owing to the construction of the Harbour Tunnel, a removal took place to the present sites, the engine works to 36 Finnieston Street, and the boiler works to 90 Kelvinhaugh Street.

Entering at Finnieston Street, on the right are the general store, counting house, and drawing offices. On the left is the erecting shop, 160 feet long by 60 feet wide, with a 40-ton overhead travelling-crane; the roof is high enough to allow for the erection of long-stroke vertical engines; on the south side is a gallery 15 feet wide, running all the length; this being furnished with vices and benches forms an excellent and well-lighted finishing shop.

Further on are the main and auxiliary smiths' shops, with air- furnace, steam-hammers, and other accessories. Right across the yard in front of the entrance are the large turning and machine shops, together forming a building 260 feet long, which has three spans in width, one 32, one 40, and one 25 feet wide. Each of these divisions is supplied with overhead travelling-cranes, so that every portion of floor space can be utilized. Both large and small machines of the most modern kind have been introduced, in order that engines of all sizes, for screw or paddle, pinnace or ironclad, may be economically constructed.

The boiler works are situated seven minutes' walk from the engine works. They have a street frontage of 180 feet and extend inwards 245 feet, with cast-iron pillars supporting the roofs in the interior. On entering, to the left are the offices, rolling, welding, and smiths' shops; also large plate-furnace and heavy riveting-machine shop, which is 46 feet wide and is fitted with overhead travelling-crane. Further on is the flanging shop, with all the necessary hydraulic appliances for flanging boiler-ends, furnace mouths, tube plates, and combustion-chamber plates.

To the right are two shops, each having a span of 46 feet, in which the boiler plates are planed, drilled, riveted, and erected. Hers also the machines are numerous and of the most modern kind, and capable of turning out a large number of boilers annually.

Behind the boiler works are the ship repairing works, which are entered from Kelvinhaugh Road. These premises are well arranged, having been recently built to meet the requirements of the repairing business. All kinds of ship work are done here, iron, smith's, carpentry, and joiner work; spars and masts, either of iron, steel, or wood, are constantly under construction; and owing to the works being situated close to the Govan graving docks, many vessels of all sizes and nationalities are docked and painted by the firm.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 486]