Yorkshire Engine Co. Ltd., Meadowshall Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameYorkshire Engine Co. Ltd., Meadowshall Works
OrtssitzSheffield (England)
OrtsteilWineobank
Art des UnternehmensMaschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenAuf einem 8,9 Hektar gro├čen Gel├Ąnde bei Blackburn Meadows. Zusatz auch "Meadow Hall works" [Kelly's directory of West Riding (1881)].
Quellenangabenhttps://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Engine_Company [Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Visits to Works (1890)] = Grace's Guide




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1864 W. E. Eden (sp├Ąter: vierter Baron Auckland), Vorstandsvorsitzender der "South Yorkshire Railway" und Direktor der "Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway" (MSLR) hat den Plan, eine Lokomotivfabrik zu errichten
1865 Gr├╝ndung
bis April 1865 Die Investoren bringen 120.000 Pfund der ben├Âtigten 200.000 Pfund f├╝r die Firmengr├╝ndung auf.
1866 Aufnahme des Lokomotivbaus, insgesamt werden ca. 1600 Lokomotiven erbaut
Mai 1866 Archibald Sturrock, Lokomotiveningenieur bei der "Great Northern Railway", wird Mitglied der Gesch├Ąftsleitung.
Mitte 1865 Baubeginn
Jan. 1867 Archibald Sturrock wird Vorstandsvorsitzender
Febr. 1867 Auslieferung der letzten Lokomotive aus der ersten gebauten Serie (f├╝r die Great Northern Railway)
Mai 1867 Fertigstellung des Werks
1871 Das Unternehmen kommt in die Gewinnzone
Ende 1871 Der Bau von Lokomotiven nach dem Patent von Robert Fairlie beginnt bei der "Yorkshire Engine Co."
1872 Beginn der Lieferung von 13 Fairlie-Lokomotiven der "Yorkshire Engine Co." an die mexikanische Eisenbahngesellschaft. Es sind 0-6-6-0-Zweiendlokomotiven. Lieferzeit: 1872 - 1883.
1965 Schlie├čung




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampfkessel 1881 [Kelly' directory] 1881 [Kelly' directory]  
Dampflokomotiven 1865 Beginn 1965 Ende (ca. 1600 Loks gebaut)  
Dampfmaschinen 1888 f├╝r Nunnery Colliery 1888 f├╝r Nunnery Colliery  
Diesellokomotiven 1950 Beginn 1965 Ende  




Allgemeines

ZEIT1890
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTThese works were built for the manufacture of locomotive engines upon a large scale. Circumstances however having since directed part of that trade into other channels, they are now mostly employed upon general engineering work, including all classes of stationary engines, torpedo engines, and boilers for locomotive, stationary, and marine engines. Light locomotives of different kinds, weighing only 3 tons, are now in course of construction for railways of 18 inches gauge, as well as the heaviest class of Fairlie engine having twelve wheels and weighing 86 tons. Other locomotives of this class are being built for 3 ft. 6 ins. gauge; also four-wheel and six-wheel engines for collieries and contractors, as well as a locomotive to be driven by electricity. Special machinery has been put down for finishing marine forgings and castings of the heaviest description, which have been supplied for war ships and American liners. A quantity of work for the Admiralty is now in hand; also air-compressing machinery, colliery plant, and coal-cutting machines. The works comprise a large machine-shop, fitting shop, and boiler shop; a foundry having a 30-ton overhead travelling crane, Root's blower, and every facility for producing castings up to 50 tons. The forge comprises four hammers, and large smithy. There is also a capacious erecting shop, well provided with steam-power, overhead cranes, &c. The works cover ten acres, and employ between 500 and 600 men. They are connected with the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire and the Midland Railway, the nearest station on the former being, Meadow Hall and on the latter Wincobank.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Visits to Works (1890)] = Grace's Guide