Neilson & Co., Springburn Works


FirmennameNeilson & Co., Springburn Works
Art des UnternehmensMaschinen- und Lokomotivfabrik
AnmerkungenUmfirmierung 1860/62 aus "Neilson & Co., Hydepark Foundry" (s.d.). Ab 1898 "Neilson, Reid & Co., Springburn Works" (s.d.)
Quellenangaben[Slezak: Lokomotiven Europas (1962) 21] [Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 481]


Zeit Ereignis
1860-1862 1860/62 Umzug nach Springburn und Umwandlung der Firma "Neilson & Co., Hydepark Foundry" in "Neilson & Co., Springburn Works"
1863 Dubs wird Teilhaber bei Neilson & Co., Glasgow, scheidet aber Ende 1863 wieder aus, um eine eigene Lokomotivfabrik zu grĂĽnden.
1878 W. M. Neilson zieht sich aus den Springburn Works zurück, und J. Reid ist zunächst der alleinige Besitzer.
1884 Tod von W. M. Neilson, und Reid wird Kopf des Unternehmens
1887 Errichtung eines neuen Bürogebäudes mit kaufmännischer und Zeichen-Abteilung
01.01.1893 James Reid nimmt seine vier Söhne als Teilhaber auf.
1898 Umfirmierung in "Neilson, Reid & Co., Springburn Works"


Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1862 Beginn (ex Hydepark Works) 1898 Ende (--> Neilson, Reid & Co.)  

Firmen-Ă„nderungen, ZusammenschĂĽsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen

Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1898 Umbenennung danach Neilson, Reid & Co., Springburn Works  


TEXTThe works were originally situated in Hyde Park Street, close to the harbour; and were removed in 1862 to their present situation in Springburn. At that time the partners were the late Mr. W. Montgomerie Neilson and Mr. Henry Dubs; and when at the end of 1863 the latter withdrew from the firm to establish works of his own, Mr. James Reid became a partner, and continued in the management till the retirement of Mr. Neilson in 1878. From that time till his death in 1894, Mr. Reid remained at the head of the business, being sole proprietor till 1st January 1893, when his four sons became his partners.

Since the removal to Springburn the business has steadily grown. In 1865 about 1,000 men were employed, and the output was 82 engines; the present establishment when fully equipped employs over 2,500 men, and turns out more than 200 main-line engines a year; it is thus the largest of the kind in Great Britain.

The new offices built in 1887, comprising the commercial and drawing departments, are the latest addition to the works, and are a model of convenience. The other various departments are arranged with a view to the regular sequence of work being followed throughout. The pattern shop leads to the brass and iron foundries and coppersmiths' shop, the template shop, and the boiler and tender shops, parallel to which are the smithy and forge. The boiler shop contains a hydraulic flanging press for locomotive plates, special machines for drilling boilers together and apart, hydraulic riveter, &c.

In another large block of buildings, opposite to the boiler shop and smithy, and parallel to one another, are the grinding, finishing, turning, machine, wheel and frame, and boiler-mounting shops, finishing with the erecting shop, the focus of the work from all the other departments. A spacious steaming shed serves to relieve the erecting shop after the engines have been put together, and enables work to be stored if there is any delay between completion and shipment. The packing and painting shops complete the works.

The locomotives made here are of all classes, and examples of them are to be found on almost all railways. The total output to the present time amounts to nearly 5,000 engines, which, if placed end to end, would extend over thirty miles.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 481]