Sharp, Stewart & Co. Ltd., Atlas Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameSharp, Stewart & Co. Ltd., Atlas Works
OrtssitzGlasgow
OrtsteilSpringburn
Art des UnternehmensLokomotiv- und Maschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenNach Vorg├Ąnger-Firmierungen 1852-88 unter der Firma "Sharp & Stewart" in Manchester; dann Umzug in die Clyde Works in Springburn. Unter allen Firmierungen (einschl. Clyde Works) zusammen 4993 Loks gebaut. Seit 1903 Teil der "North British Locomotive Co.".
Quellenangaben[Slezak: Lokomotivfabriken Europas (1962) 21] [Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 484]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1888 "Sharp & Stewart" in Manchester ├╝bernimmt die "Clyde Locomotive Co. Ltd., Glasgow" und Umwandlung in eine Ltd. (limited liability company)
1903 Fusion mit "Neilson, Reid & Co., Glasgow" und "D├╝bs & Co., Glasgow" zur "North British Locomotive Co. Ltd., Glasgow", bis dahin waren von Sharp 4993 Loks erbaut worden
1903 Das Unternehmen wird zusammen mit "William King & Co." und "Dubs & Co." Teil der "North British Locomotive Company"




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Lokomotiven 1888 Beginn (bisher in Manchester) 1903 Ende (Teil von North British Locomotive)  




Firmen-Änderungen, Zusammenschüsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen


Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1888 Umbenennung zuvor Sharp & Stewart Umzug nach Glasgow und ge├Ąnderte Firmierung
1903 Zusammenschlu├č, neuer Name danach North British Locomotive Co. Ltd.  




Allgemeines

ZEIT1895
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTThese works, situated close to the Barnhill station of the Glasgow City Union Railway, were originally built by the Clyde Locomotive Co. in 1884, and were occupied by them until their amalgamation with Messrs. Sharp, Stewart, and Co., who then removed their locomotive and machine-tool business from Manchester to Springburn. They have since been considerably extended.

The offices are situated near the eastern angle of the ground; and extending from them round the angle and along the north-east side come the pattern store, pattern and joiners' shops, brass foundry. iron foundry, forge and smithy. The iron foundry contains overhead rope travelling-crane and hydraulic cranes. Beyond the forge, in the northern angle, is a vacant piece of ground, available for future extension.

Leading from the smithy and foundry is a narrow-gauge tramway, passing through the stores, which stretch parallel with the smithy towards the centre of the ground; it is so arranged that the rough material can be brought into the drawing-in department, and thence into the main machinery building. Under the same roof as the drawing-in shop are the brass-finishing and grinding shops; and immediately adjoining these is the main building, consisting of six bays, and occupying the whole of the south-western portion of the works.

The first two bays are shorter than the others, and form, with the first of the long bays, the fitting shop and light-tool shop. The other three long bays form the heavy-tool shop, the boiler-mounting and frame-fitting shop, and the erecting shop. The total width of the six bays is 280 feet, and the average length of the long bays is about 400 feet. The narrow-gauge tramway traverses the different departments; and the larger bays are served by rope-driven overhead- cranes, of which there are two in the erecting shop, and by a travelling jib-crane. Hydraulic jib-cranes are also placed in other convenient positions throughout the works, especially in the erecting shop and cylinder-fitting shop.

At the other side of the yard, opposite the end of the erecting shop, is the paint and packing shop, occupying the southern angle; and in the middle of the south-eastern side is the boiler and tender shop, consisting of four bays, 150 feet long and together 160 feet wide. This shop is fitted up with the most approved modern machinery, including special drilling machines and hydraulic riveters. Each of the two principal bays contains an overhead rope travelling-crane, and various hydraulic cranes are placed in convenient positions. Parallel with the boiler shop, and lying towards the centre of the works, is the furnace and flanging shed, with the necessary plate-furnaces and a hydraulic flanging press. Parallel again with this are the main boiler-house, case-hardening furnaces, annealing furnace, and coppersmiths' shop.

The power throughout is supplied by special vertical wall-engines placed outside the buildings, one at the end of each bay containing machinery. The works are lighted throughout by gas, special lamps being employed in the erecting and boiler shops.

The machine-tool shop lies on the north-western side of the works, close to the stores and main machinery building. It consists of three bays, a large one in the middle with a small one on either side. The centre bay is served by a 25-ton overhead travelling-crane, and at one side is a 5-ton rope travelling jib-crane. The shop is arranged for dealing with all classes of work, up to the heaviest tools required in connection with marine and ordnance work.

The locomotive department is capable of turning out 150 engines a year. The number of men employed is about 1,800.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 484]