Delamater Iron Works


Zum Vergrößern Bild anklicken


Delamater Iron Works: Werbung 1870


Allgemeines

FirmennameDelamater Iron Works
OrtssitzNew York (N.Y.)
StraßeWest 13th Street
Art des UnternehmensMaschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenAuch "Delameter" und "Delmater"; "Delamater" tritt am häufigsten auf und ist wohl die richtige Schreibweise. Adresse: Bis 1850: West Street; dann (um 1870): Foot of West Thirteenth Street und Albany Street, Eisenwerke Ecke Washington und Albany Streets. Bis 1850 mit dem Zusatz "Phoenix Foundry", um 1870 als "Delamater Iron Works" bekannt. Vor 1855: "Hogg & Delamater" (s.d.); dann "C. H. Delamater". Seit ca. 1840 ist dort der aus Schweden immigrierte John Ericsson (s.d.) tätig. 1868: Lage: North River, am Fuß der West Thirteenth und Fourteenth streets. 1870: Eigentümer: Handren & Ripley. 1874: Das Werk beschäftigt über 800 Leute und verbraucht 6.000 bis 7.000 t Eisen im Jahr. Später die wird das Werk durch die "Fletcher Harrison & Company" fortgeführt, die die alte "Phoenix Foundry" übernehmen.
Quellenangaben[Manufacturer and Builder 2 (1870) 29 Anzeige] [Wiley: American iron trade manual (1874) 94+99] [Dayton: Steamboat days (1925) Internet] http://www.johnericsson.org [Hist. Am. Mfg. 3 (1868) 128]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1825 Gründung des Ursprungsunternehmens, der "Phoenix Foundry"
1835 Anfänge der "Phoenix Foundry"
1840 John Ericsson trifft mit Cornelius Harry Delamater, dem Partner der "Phoenix Foundry" in Brooklyn zusammen. - Er arbeitet bei den "Delamater Iron Works" für den Rest seines Lebens.
1842 Die "Phoenix Foundry" wird von Cornelius H. DeLamater und Peter Hogg erworben
1850 Gründung durch Peter Hogg and Cornelius Delamater
1855 Ericsson beginnt die Verbesserung von kleineren kalorischen Maschinen (Heißluftmotoren), deren Verkauf Ericsson und Delamater für den Rest ihres Lebens Einkünfte bringen.
1855 Peter Hogg zieht sich zurück, und Cornelius Delamater wird alleiniger Eigentümer der vormaligen "Hogg & Delamater"
1856 C. H. DeLamater wird Alleineigentümer
05.1873 George H. Robinson geht eine Partnerschaft mit C. H. DeLamater ein.
02.1889 Tod von Harry Delamater (einen Monat vor dem seines Freundes John Ericsson)




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampfmaschinen 1855 Umfirmierung aus "Hogg & Delamater" 1880 im New England Wireless and Steam Museum Rider's governor cut-off engines, ... - Produktion später an "Fletcher Harrison & Company"
Dampfpumpen         Abbildung einer Simplexpumpe, Schieber über dem Zylinder und Steuerung durch die Kolbenstange
Dampfpumpen         Abbildung einer Simplexpumpe
Gußeisen 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Iron foundry
Kessel 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: boilers
Schiffsdampfmaschinen 1855 Umfirmierung aus "Hogg & Delamater" 1861 für Kriegsschiff "Monitor" 1861 für Kriegsschiff "Monitor"
Schwermaschinenbau 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: Heavy machinery
Wärmekraftmaschinen 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] 1874 [Wiley: American iron trade (1874)] Vorgabe: caloric engines




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1874 800        
1875 1200        




Firmen-Änderungen, Zusammenschüsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen


Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1855 Umbenennung zuvor Hogg & Delamater 1850 ("bekannt") oder 1855 (Rückzug von Hogg)




Allgemeines

ZEIT1855
THEMAFirmenbeschreibung
TEXTPhoenix Foundry came into being in 1835, located in West Street, between Hubert and Vestry, conducted by James Cunningham, an engineer of unusual skill, who contributed largely to the development of river steamer engines. Cunningham was the first to employ the cut-off of steam by the detachment of the inlet steam valve, an invention of Peter Hogg, then an apprentice. Previous to 1839 independent cut-offs in the steam pipes were used.

The Phoenix Foundry was taken over by Peter Hogg and Cornelius Delamater in 1842, styled Hogg & Delamater, and in 1850 the firm moved to the foot of West 13th and 14th Streets, the business now being known as the Delamater Iron Works. The engines of the caloric ship Ericsson were constructed here, having eight cylinders, four of which measured i68 inches, and four 120 inches, being of greater diameter than had ever been cast, finished and put in a ship.

Mr. Hogg retired in 1855, Delamater continuing as sole proprietor. The works prospered and gained a fine reputation for careful workmanship. The machinery for the original Monitor was built at this yard, and the engine, hull and turrets of the ironclad Dictator, 320 feet length, 50 feet beam and 20 feet depth of hold. The steam equipment and turrets for Kalamazoo, Passaconomy and Passaic, the latter a monitor, were built at this works and a number of iron steamers as Matanzas.

Captain John Ericsson used the Delamater Iron Works for the development of his revolutionary ideas of vessel building and naval ship practice which did so much to bring the Rebellion to close. The Delamater Works, too, frequently employed 1,000 men with a payroll reaching $12,000 weekly average, and it was the largest ship and engine building business owned and controlled by one man .

The business was succeeded to by Fletcher Harrison & Company, who had occupied the old Phoenix shop in Vestry Street, and later by W. & A. Fletcher Company of Hoboken, where the same fine reputation for splendid workmanship continues and where notable power plants for vessels have been built, including the famous Yale and Harvard.
QUELLE[Dayton: Steamboat days (1925) Internet]


ZEIT1868 (1855)
TEXTThey were founded in the year 1850, by Messrs. Peter Hogg and Cornelius Delamater, who carried on business under the firm-style of Hogg & Delamater. This firm had a previous existence in 1842, at the well and favorably known Phoenix Foundry, in West street, between Hubert and Vestry streets, which dated back to 1835. The Delamater Works are distinguished for their capacity to build very heavy machinery, and have built larger cylinders than have thus far been cast and finished at any other foundry in existence. The original air engines of the caloric ship Ericsson were constructed here, which had eight cylinders - four of which each measured one hundred and sixty-eight inches, or fourteen feet in diameter; and the four others one hundred and twenty inches, or ten feet; the former having at least fifty-six inches greater diameter than that of any cylinder that was ever cast, finished, and put ia a ship. In 1855, the firm was dissolved, Mr. Hogg retiring, and Mr. Delamater remaining to conduct the business as sole proprietor. Under his administration the Works prospered, and rapidly increased in reputation for the excellent character of the work finished there. As occasion required, the establishment was enlarged, new tools were added, and every facility obtained that was necessary to build light or heavy machinery, with the highest degree of perfection, in the shortest possible space of time. During the late Rebellion, the Navy Department of the United States Government derived very substantial aid from the skill and enterprise of this establishment. It was here that the machinery of the original Monitor was built; and the entire hull, turrets, and machinery of the iron-clad Dictator were also constructed here. The magnitude of the undertaking will be best understood, when it is stated that the Dictator's dimensions are three hundred and twenty feet long, fifty feet wide, and twenty feet depth of hold. Her engines have two upright cylinders, one hundred inches each in diameter, and six return flue boilers. The screw propeller is twenty-one feet six inches in diameter, with a pitch of thirty-two feet. The steam machinery and turrets of the Kalamazoo and Passaconomy, as well as the motive power of several of the iron-clads known to the public as the Monitor class, of which the Passaic may be taken as a representative, was built here, because nowhere else could they have been constructed within the time required by the government. A number of iron steamers were also constructed at these Works, among which the Matanzas is regarded as a vessel that reflects great credit upon her builders. Since 1842, the experimental machines, air, and other engines of Captain Ericsson, have all been constructed by the workmen of this establishment, superior facilities being enjoyed here for the purpose. The Delamater-Works occupy a space of two hundred feet fronting the North river, with a front of six hundred feet on Thirteenth street, and an equal space on Fourteenth street; as well as additional grounds on the south side of Thirteenth street, with a front of two hundred feet, by one hundred deep. The establishment is furnished with every requisite for building all kinds and varieties of machinery, besides stationary and marine engines, such as sugar-house machinery, machinery for water-works, etc., the proprietor having had considerable experience in most of these departments of mechanical engineering. There have at times been from one thousand to twelve hundred workmen, of all classes, employed here, the wages averaging during the past year 11.000 per week, equal to 512.000 paid for labor alone in twelve months. When the whole expense of conducting such Works is taken into account, and that the sum mentioned as paid for labor alone is but a fraction of the whole amount, it seems wonderful that such extensive operations should have been so successfully conducted under the proprietorship of a single individual. Most, if not all the large Marine Engine Works of New York, are conducted by corporations or firms comprising several partners; but the Delamater Iron-Works have achieved distinguished triumphs in engineering under the direction of a single proprietor possessing a mind of great executive and financial ability. (Phoenix Foundry came into being in 1835, located in West Street, between Hubert and Vestry, conducted by James Cunningham, an engineer of unusual skill, who contributed largely to the development of river steamer engines. Cunningham was the first to employ the cut-off of steam by the detachment of the inlet steam valve, an invention of Peter Hogg, then an apprentice. Previous to 1839 independent cut-offs in the steam pipes were used. The Phoenix Foundry was taken over by Peter Hogg and Cornelius Delamater in 1842, styled Hogg & Delamater, and in 1850 the firm moved to the foot of West 13th and 14th Streets, the business now being known as the Delamater Iron Works. The engines of the caloric ship Ericsson were constructed here, having eight cylinders, four of which measured i68 inches, and four 120 inches, being of greater diameter than had ever been cast, finished and put in a ship. Mr. Hogg retired in 1855, Delamater continuing as sole proprietor. The works prospered and gained a fine reputation for careful workmanship. The machinery for the original Monitor was built at this yard, and the engine, hull and turrets of the ironclad Dictator, 320 feet length, 50 feet beam and 20 feet depth of hold. The steam equipment and turrets for Kalamazoo, Passaconomy and Passaic, the latter a monitor, were built at this works and a number of iron steamers as Matanzas. Captain John Ericsson used the Delamater Iron Works for the development of his revolutionary ideas of vessel building and naval ship practice which did so much to bring the Rebellion to close. The Delamater Works, too, frequently employed 1,000 men with a payroll reaching $12,000 weekly average, and it was the largest ship and engine building business owned and controlled by one man . The business was succeeded to by Fletcher Harrison & Company, who had occupied the old Phoenix shop in Vestry Street, and later by W. & A. Fletcher Company of Hoboken, where the same fine reputation for splendid workmanship continues and where notable power plants for vessels have been built, including the famous Yale and Harvard. )
QUELLE[Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 128] ([Dayton: Steamboat days (1925) Internet])