Danforth Locomotive & Machine Company

Allgemeines

FirmennameDanforth Locomotive & Machine Company
OrtssitzPaterson (N.J.)
Art des UnternehmensLokomotivfabrik
Anmerkungen1874: John Cooke, PrÀsident; Jas. Cooke, Leiter; J. Edwards, VizeprÀsident; A. J. Bixby, Leiter der Finanzen. Ab 1882: "Cooke Locomotive & Machine Works". Um 1871: Inhaber Charles Danfort (bei [Boyd] fÀlschlich ohne "h")
Quellenangaben[Metzeltin: Die Lokomotive (1972)] [Boyd's business directory ... New York state (1870) 41] [Wiley: American iron trade manual (1874) 63] [Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 225]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1800 GrĂŒndung durch John Clark, senior, einem Schotten, nahe der Beaver Mill um 1800 als vielleicht erste Maschinenfabrik in New Jersey
1812 Die Produktion wird zur Zeit des Krieges fĂŒr ein oder zwei Jahre eingestellt.
1812 Die Firma geht zu dieser Zeit auf John Clark, Jr., ĂŒber.
1822 General Abram Godwin wird Teilhaber, und die Firma "Godwin, Rogers & Co." wird gegrĂŒndet.
1826 Major John Edwards tritt in die Firma ein. - Er wird fĂŒr viele Jahre Vorarbeiter.
1828 Bau eines ZiegegebĂ€udes fĂŒr die Maschinenwerkstatt.
1828 Charles Danforth, ein BĂŒrger aus Massachusetts, der in Ramapo, Rockland County, New York, viele Jahre lebte, Erfinder der berĂŒhmten Kapselspinnmaschine, kommt nach Paterson und vereinbart mit der Firma, seine Maschine dort herzustellen. Große AuftrĂ€ge werden von Spinnern zu zufriedenstellenden Preisen ĂŒbernommen, und es wird ein erfolgreiches GeschĂ€ft abgewickelt.
FrĂŒhjahr 1830 Danforth geht nach England und fĂŒhrt seine Spinnmaschine dort ein, wo er auf ziemlichen Erfolg stĂ¶ĂŸt, und er wĂ€re noch grĂ¶ĂŸer, wenn nicht zu dieser Zeit nicht gerade der Selfaktor eingefĂŒhrt wĂŒrde.
Herbst 1831 Danforth kehrt aus England zurĂŒck, gerade bevor die Firma "Godwin, Rogers & Co.aufgelöst wird.
Herbst 1831 Rogers verlĂ€ĂŸt die Firma und verbindet sich mit "Ketchum & Grosveneur" und bildet die Firma "Rogers, Ketchum & Grosveneur" (spĂ€ter: "The Rogers Locomotive and Machine Company").
Herbst 1831 Danforth ĂŒbernimmt die Stelle des ausgeschiendenen Rogers in der alten Firma, die das GeschĂ€ft unter dem name "Godwin, Clark & Co." weiter betreibt und ihr Werk vergrĂ¶ĂŸert.
1839 Edwin T. Prall wird Hauptbuchhalter.
1840 "Godwin, Clark & Co." wird aufgelöst. Die MaschinenwerkstĂ€tte wird durch Mr. Danforth und die Baumwollfabrik durch General Godwin weitergefĂŒhrt.
1842 Mr. Danforth kauft den gesamten Konzern (d.h. einschl. der Textilfabrik, die seit 1840 durch General Godwin geleitet wurde.
1848 Major John Edwards ĂŒbernimmt einen anteil an der Firma, jetzt als "Charles Danforth & Co.".
1852 John Cooke tritt als Managing Director in die Maschinenfabrik von Danforth in Paterson ein, um dort den Lokomotivbau einzufĂŒhren
1852 Edwin T. Prall wird zusammen mit John Cooke Teilhaber bei "Charles Danforth & Co.". - John Cooke war seit ca. 1844 Vorarbeiter in "Rogers Locomotive Shop" und hatte viel zur Konstruktion der Lokomotiven dieser Gesellschaft beigetragen.
1852 Bau einer LokomotivwerkstÀtte
1852 Umfrimierung aus "Charles Danforth & Co." in "Danforth, Cooke & Co."
1865 Umwandlung von "Danforth, Cooke & Co." in eine Aktiengesellschaft unter der Firma "Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company" die alten Teilhaber werden HauptaktionÀre.
1882 Umbenennung in "Cooke Locomotive Works",




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1852 Eintritt von J. Cooke 1882 Ende (--> Cooke)  
Eisenbahn-SchneepflĂŒge          




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1874 750        




Firmen-Änderungen, ZusammenschĂŒsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen


Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1882 Umbenennung danach Cooke Locomotive & Machine Works Umbenennung




Allgemeines

ZEIT1868
THEMAFirmenbeschreibung
TEXTIn Paterson, are among the largest and most important in the United States. The establishment originated in a small machine shop erected, by Mr. John Clark, senior, a native of Scotland, where the grist-mill now stands, near the Beaver Mill, about the year 1800, and was probably the first machine works in New Jersey. This shop was principally occupied in making wool-carding machines for country work for several years; and as manufacturing operations increased, other machinery was made, until the close of the war of 1812, when manufacturing operations were suspended for two or three years. About this time the shop passed into the hands of the late John Clark, Jr., and as power loom weaving was about being introduced, the first orders taken were for Power Looms. The late Thomas Rogers was a journeyman house carpenter, and as the looms were at that time mostly made of wood, Mr. Rogers was employed by Mr. Clark to do the wood work; and being an active, smart, energetic man, soon became a partner. Subsequently, the late General Abram Godwin became interested with them, establishing the firm of Godwin, Rogers & Co. This was in 1822. At first all their tools were in the basement and first flat of the cotton mill, but they gradually increased their operations until 1828, when one-half of the present brick machine shop was put up. At that time Charles Danforth, a native of Massachusetts, who had been living at Ramapo, Rockland county, New York, for several years, invented his celebrated Cap Spinning Frame, came to Paterson and made an arrangement with this firm to manufacture them. Large orders were taken for the new spinners at satisfactory prices, and a successful business was done. This circumstance brought the works into notice, and gave them orders not only for the new spinning machines, but for other machinery. In the early part of the year 1830, Mr. Danforth went to England and introduced his spinners there, where he met with fair success, and would have done better but for the self-acting mule which was then about being introduced. He returned in the fall of 1831, just before which the firm of Godwin, Rogers & Co., had dissolved, Mr. Rogers going out and connecting himself with Messrs. Ketchum & Grosveneur, established the firm of Rogers, Ketchum & Grosveneur, who are now succeeded by The Rogers Locomotive and Machine Company. Mr. Danforth took the place of Mr. Rogers in the old firm, which continued to do business under the name of Godwin, Clark & Co., with enlarged works, until 1840, when the firm was dissolved. The machine shop was then conducted by Mr. Danforth, and the cotton mill by General Godwin, for two years, when Mr. Danforth bought out the whole concern, and conducted it alone until 1848, when Major John Edwards (who had served his time in the shop from 1826, and had been foreman for several years) took an interest in it, under the firm style of Charles Danforth & Co. In 1852, Mr. Edwin T. Prall, who had been principal bookkeeper from 1839, became a partner, together with Mr. John Cooke, who had been foreman for the Rogers Locomotive Shop for six or eight years, and had contributed much towards perfecting and giving character to the locomotives made by that Company. In the same year the locomotive shop was erected, and the business conducted in the name of Danforth, Cooke & Co., until 1865, when it was converted into a joint stock company under the title of the Danforth Locomotive and Machine Company, the old partners being the principal holders of the stock. The Works of this Company now cover nearly two acres of ground, and include a Cotton Factory, a Foundry, a new Boiler Shop two hundred feet in length, a large Blacksmith Shop and Pattern Shop one hundred and ten by thirty-five feet, in which patterns are stored that originally cost 150.000, and a Machine Shop Which has turned out in a single year 300.000 worth of Cotton Machinery, besides over seventy Locomotives. As many as seven hundred men are frequently employed. Mr. Charles Danforth, the President of the Company, has had experience in all branches of the cotton manufacture, and probably there is no one now living so thoroughly conversant with all the details of cotton spinning and manufacturing machinery for the purpose. Since his invention of the Spinning Frame, with which his name is associated, he has made several improvements upon it, and it is now believed to be the most effective throstle spinner extant, and will produce, it is claimed, full thirty per cent, more yarn, "spindle for spindle", than any other spinning machine.
QUELLE[Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 225]