Caledonian Railway, Saint Rollox Railway Works


FirmennameCaledonian Railway, Saint Rollox Railway Works
Art des UnternehmensLokomotivfabrik
AnmerkungenBestand aus den St. Rollox Locomotive Works und den St. Rollox Carriage and Wagon Works. Später an British Rail; nach deren Privatisierung an Alstom und 2007 an Railcare (als Fahrzeugunterhaltungswerk). Eine von vier Eisenbahnwerkstätten im Stadtteil Springburn.
Quellenangaben[Smith, Alstair: Introducing Scotland Series (Internet)] [Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 476]


Zeit Ereignis
1856 Bau durch die Caledonian Railway an der Stelle des Bahnhofs der "Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway", welche die Caledonian Railway übernommen hatte. Das Werk ersetzt die bisherige Werkstätte in Greenock.
1877 Fitz Charles MacDonald arbeitet zwei Jahre in den Lokomotivwerkstätten der Caledonian Railway
1890 R. W. Urie wird Chefzeichner in den St.-Rollox-Works der Caledonian Railway
1896 R. W. Urie wird fĂĽr ein Jahr Betriebsleiter in den St.-Rollox-Works der Caledonian Railway


Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1854 Beginn 1928 Ende  
Dampfmaschinen 1886 fĂĽr Alloa Bridge 1886 fĂĽr Alloa Bridge  

Firmen-Ă„nderungen, ZusammenschĂĽsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen

Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1 Nebenwerk zuvor Caledonian Railway  


TEXTThese works occupy about 23 acres, the buildings alone covering about 12 acres. They were entirely reconstructed about ten years ago, for building and repairing all descriptions of railway rolling stock, care being taken to minimise manual labour in every detail.

The crude metal and rough timber enter the works at opposite sides, and passing straight on through the various processes of modelling and finishing, meet in the erecting shops, to form locomotives, carriages, and wagons. The machinery and tools are all of the newest and most approved kind. In the foundry are number of moulding machines, one of which is capable of moulding 250 bushes for axle-boxes per day; they were constructed in the works, and are worked and cleaned by pressure of air supplied by Westinghouse pump.

The locomotive erecting shop is capable of holding 80 engines and 15 tenders, and is fitted with six 30-ton overhead cranes, driven by rope gearing. In the wheel shop are two 5-ton overhead travellers; and a cylinder borer, which bores the stuffing-boxes for piston-rod and valve-spindle at the same setting and time. The lathes are so arranged that they can be run at mean speed, cones being done away with; and each is fed by a small hydraulic crane. The tools are driven from the main shafting, resulting not only in great saving of time, but in keeping each tool at regular work all the year round. The slowest rate of cutting in wheel-turning is about 19 feet a minute. The shafting is of the roll kind, fitted with spherical bearings. Another feature is a frame slotter, which slots six engine- frames at once; it has a 34 feet bed with 4 feet space between uprights, 13 inches stroke, and four heads, and was made by Messrs. Smith, Beacock, and Tannett, Leeds.

In the turning, machine, and fitting shop the tools are adapted to the lighter nature of the work. Amongst them are bush-bossing machines, by which one man can turn out on an average 280 bushes a day; two American turret or capstan lathes containing half-a-dozen chucks for special operations; and brass-milling machines designed and built in the works. Link belting and rope gearing are used here.

The smithy and forge contain a hundred fires, blown by a Root's blower of the largest size, nineteen steam-hammers ranging from 15 cwts. to 3 tons, heavy shears cutting up to 6 inches square, and machines for nut, bolt, and rivet making. Hydraulic power is used all over the works at pressures of from 800 lbs. up to 1,000 tons per square inch. A machine for bending wagon-wheel spokes is of ingenious construction, and admirably adapted for the purpose.

The rolling stock comprises 713 engines, 1,830 carriages, and 53,480 wagons. The gross number of engines built, rebuilt, renewed, and repaired annually is over 900, carriages over 6,000, and wagons over 63,000. The locomotive superintendent is Mr. John F. M'Intosh.

Upwards of 2,500 men are employed in the works, and nearly an equal number in the running department.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 476]