A. F. Craig & Co., Caledonia Engineering Works and Snawdoun Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameA. F. Craig & Co., Caledonia Engineering Works and Snawdoun Works
OrtssitzPaisley (Schottl)
Stra├čeMacdowall Street
Art des UnternehmensLokomotiv- und Kesselfabrik
AnmerkungenBezug zu "W. H. Aitken & Co., Caledonia Works" (s.d.), Paisley, unbekannt. Um 1895 Zusatz "Caledonia Engine Works", um 1899 obiger Zusatz (als zwei Werke).
Quellenangaben[Smith, Alstair: Introducing Scotland Series (Internet)] [Kelly's directory of merchants, manufacturers ... 2 (1931) 506] [Slater's Royal Nat. Comm. Dir. of Scotland (1899) Werbe-Anh.]
Hinweise[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 523]




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Bleichereimaschinen 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland]  
Dampfkessel 1895 [Inst. of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 523] 1931 [Kelly's directory 2 (1931) 506]  
Dampflokomotiven 1870 Beginn ca. 1870 1870 Ende ca. 1870  
F├Ąrbereimaschinen 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland]  
Gu├čeisen 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] "ironfounders"
hydraulische Pressen 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland]  
Schermaschinen 1895 [Inst. of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 523] 1899 [Slaters's directory of Scotland] "cropping machines"




Personal

Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1895 400        




Allgemeines

ZEIT1895
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTThese works occupy over four acres, and are situated on both sides of Macdowall Street, at the north end of the town. They comprise foundry, engine, machine, and smiths' shops, and steel works for the manufacture of steel spiral blades, on the south side of the street; and boiler shop on the north side.

The foundry is well equipped for turning out all kinds of castings up to 25 tons. The principal shop is fitted with a 20-ton power travelling-crane, and the other parts of the building are supplied with steam cranes of various sizes. The cupolas are capable of melting 40 tons a day, for which the material is lifted to the platform on cradles by a steam crane. The various yards are also supplied with steam cranes, for handling castings after leaving the foundry.

The heavy machine and fitting shops occupy the ground floor of the main block of buildings, wherein there is a 15-ton power travelling-crane driven by endless rope, by which the heaviest machines are served. The remainder of the heavy machinery is in the west end of the block. The second and third floors are furnished with lighter machinery for the manufacture of special machines, such as carpet looms, clipping and cropping machines. The latter are made with two, three, or four spirals, to cut all widths of cloth up to 13 feet, and are designed for clipping and cropping all classes of textile fabrics. The spiral blades for these machines are entirely made on the premises by special machinery, by which they are rolled, file-cut, concaved and twisted, tempered, and ground ready for putting into the machine. The whole of the works on the south side of the street are connected by a narrow-gauge railway, on which runs a locomotive, to facilitate the transport of work from one department to another.

The boiler shop on the north side is fitted for a general class of work, including land and marine steam-boilers, oil boilers, tanks, roofs, &c.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 523]