North British Railway Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameNorth British Railway Works
OrtssitzGlasgow
OrtsteilCowlairs
StraßeKeppochhill Road
Art des UnternehmensEisenbahnwerkstÀtten
AnmerkungenHaupt-Werk in Springburn (s.d.). Lokomotivbau auch in St. Margaret's b. Edinburgh (s.d.)
Quellenangaben[Smith, Alstair: Introducing Scotland Series (Internet)] [Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 482]




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Lokomotiven 1865 Beginn 1924 Ende  




Firmen-Änderungen, ZusammenschĂŒsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen


Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1865 Anschluß (Namensverlust) zuvor Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway  
1865 Nebenwerk zuvor North British Railway  




Allgemeines

ZEIT1895
THEMABeschreibung
TEXThese works occupy about 25 acres, and are used for building and repairing railway plant. Entering from Keppochhill Road is the timber yard where there is a 10-ton steam travelling-crane, having a span of 20 yards, and a longitudinal travel of 72 yards. The wagons run beneath, so that loading and unloading can be done with the utmost facility. On one side of the yard is the wood-drying shed; and close by is the fire station, where two manual fire-engines and all necessary fire-extinguishing appliances are kept.

Across the yard is the foundry, where all iron castings are made for the locomotive department, and a large quantity of special castings for the permanent way. In the same building are the pattern shop and the brass foundry. The general store is a few yards distant, and the wheel-turning shop is close by. Alongside is the carriage and wagon fitting shop. Across the passage is the carriage wood-wheel making shop, where the wheels are finished and balanced. The forge and smithy are opposite. In this department are seventeen steam-hammers ranging from 5 tons to 5 cwts., seventy smiths' fires, and seven forgers' furnaces. Above the latter are placed horizontal boilers, and the waste heat and gases are utilised by being passed through them. A large hydraulic stamping press and a number of small hydraulic machines are also here.

On the way from the smithy to the principal machine-shop are the spring-smiths' and grinding shops. The machine-shop is fitted with all necessary appliances for machining the rough material before it is passed on to the fitting and erecting departments; the motive power for working the machinery is obtained from a double-acting horizontal engine. Adjoining is the boiler shop, which contains straightening and bending rolls, planing, punching, shearing, and drilling machines, hydraulic riveters, and a plate- flanging machine. In another part of this building the tender tanks are made. The running shod comes next, and in front of this are kept the accident crane, tool van, and snow ploughs.

The erecting shop is built in three bays with three lines of rails and two 30-ton overhead power travelling-cranes in each bay. Sixty engines and twelve tenders can be dealt with at once in this shop. Conveniently placed in the yard outside is the weighing shed, where all engines and tenders on leaving the erecting shop are weighed, and the weight on each wheel accurately recorded.

Adjoining the erecting shop is the brake-fitting shop. Separated from the erecting shop by a line of rails is the wagon shop, where wagons are built and repaired. Under the same roof is the saw mill, which is fitted with all kinds of modern wood-working machinery.

The carriage shop is one long shop divided, one part being used for building carriages, the other for repairing. The paint shop is close by, where engines and carriages are painted; paints are ground by machinery and prepared for use in the paint store, which is at the end of the shop. The cabinet shop comes next, in which all carriage internal fittings are finished. In the trimming shop upstairs all upholstery work is prepared for the carriages, and the necessary belting for the works. The tin and coppersmiths' shops are close to the principal machine-shop.

The offices are also in this part of the works close to the railway. and comprise the locomotive superintendent's, drawing, running. general, and works-manager's offices. Throughout the works narrow- gauge tramways are laid, over which trolleys convey material between the various departments.

The rolling stock consists of 701 engines, 2,755 coaching vehicles, and 51,666 wagons and trucks. The locomotive, carriage, and wagon superintendent is Mr. Matthew Holmes.

The number of men employed is 2,112.
QUELLE[Institution of Mechanical Engineers (1895) 482]