Hayward & Bartlett / Baltimore Locomotive Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameHayward & Bartlett / Baltimore Locomotive Works
OrtssitzBaltimore (Maryland)
Stra├čePratt Street
Art des UnternehmensLokomotivfabrik und Eisengie├čerei
AnmerkungenInsgesamt 25 Lokomotiven gebaut. Auch: "Baltimore Locomotive Works". Um 1868: "Hayward, Bartlett & Co."; Lage: Ecke Pratt und Scott streets; Eisengie├čerei Ecke Scott und McHenry streets.
Quellenangabenhttp://www.nber.org/data/industrial-production-index/tech.pdf [Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 115]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1830 Der Gr├╝nder der Lokomotivwerke, Ross Winans, Esq., zieht nach Baltimore,
1835 Ross Winans beginnt mit der Herstellung von Maschinen.
1838 Gr├╝ndung des Werks. Er beginnt mit der Herstellung von gu├čeisernen R├Ądern.
1844 Gr├╝ndung als Ofen-/Herd-Gie├čerei
1863 ├ťbernahme der ausgedehnten Werke, weit bekannt als "Winans' Locomotive Works"




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1863 Beginn 1867 Ende (gesamt: 25 Loks) Insgesamt 25 Lokomotiven gebaut. Auch: Baltimore Locomotive Wks




Allgemeines

ZEIT1868
THEMAFirmenbeschreibung
TEXTAre among the most prominent of the manufacturing establishments in the city of Baltimore. They consist of two entire, distinct Works, and both extensive. The general Iron Foundry of this firm occupies two squares of ground at the corner of Pratt and Scott streets, and the square at the corner of Scott and McHenry streets. This was established, in 1844, as a Stove Foundry, to which afterward was added the manufacture of Railing and other ornamental Iron work. As Iron came into general use for architectural purposes, their attention was directed to this branch, and with such success that they are now among the most extensive manufacturers in the country, having constructed a large portion of the elaborate Iron work used in the city of Baltimore and many sections of the South. Within the last ten years the firm have also engaged largely in the construction of Apparatus for heating by steam and hot water, in which they have been also remarkably successful, having supplied not only many of the private and public buildings of Baltimore, but the Treasury building in Washington, and the Custom-houses in Portland, Me., in Buffalo, N. Y., and New York city. The size of the establishment and its adaptability furnish conveniences for the prosecution of all these different branches without conflict, as each department has its foreman and distinct set of workmen, from the Pattern shop to the Japanning and Gilding rooms. In 1863, they assumed control of the extensive Works widely known as "Winans' Locomotive Works." They were established by Ross Winans, Esq., who removed to the city of Baltimore in 1830, and entered the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad - which then extended only to Ellicott's Mills - as Assistant Engineer. In 1835, he commenced the manufacture of machinery under the patronage of that road, and in 1838 founded these Works. Commencing with the manufacture of Chilled Cast-iron Wheels, he gradually extended his business until it embraced the construction of Locomotives, and, up to 1850, he had furnished the Roads in this section with over two hundred first class freight engines, known as the "Camel." These Works adjoin the shops of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, and now occupy an area of four acres of ground, more than half of which is under one roof. The Boiler shop, in which from sixty to seventy hands are usually employed, has capacity for building twelve boilers at once. Adjoining this, is the room for fitting up wheels and placing them under frames, and immediately adjacent, another for making Water Tanks. Then follow the Pattern Makers' and Carpenters' shops, in which some twenty-five hands are employed. Next are the Foundry and Smiths' shop, which contains forty-three forges, trip-hammers, and furnaces, with every other facility requisite for making frames, axles, and other heavy forgings. In this one hundred and fifty hands are ordinarily employed. But probably the most attractive feature of the establishment is the Machine shop, with its varied machinery, all moved by two powerful engines - this is large enough to furnish accommodations for two hundred and fifty workmen. Adjoining the Machine shop is a systematically arranged Storeroom for finished work, which connects with the Erecting shop, where a corps of mechanics set up the work as it comes from the different departments, after which it is rolled forward on railway tracks to the Paint shop. The establishment has tools and shops sufficient to accommodate a thousand workmen, as many as eight hundred having been employed at one time. The present proprietors have changed the name to "The Baltimore Locomotive Works", added some of the best modern ma- chinery, and are now constructing a new series of different styles of coal and wood burning engines, both freight and passenger. The gentlemen composing this enterprising firm are J. H. Hayward D. L. Bartlett, and H. W. Robbins.
QUELLE[Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 115]