Albany Iron Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameAlbany Iron Works
OrtssitzTroy (N.Y.)
Art des UnternehmensLokomotivfabrik
AnmerkungenInsgesamt nur 1 Lokomotive gebaut. Liegt benachbart zu den "Troy Iron and Nail Works". Bezug zu "Albany Iron and Machine Works" (s.d.) unbekannt. Eigentümer um 1852: "J. F. Winslow & Co."; um 1868: "Corning, Winslow & Co.".
Quellenangabenhttp://www.nber.org/data/industrial-production-index/tech.pdf [New York Times, 28.06.1852] [Rittner: Troy, N.Y. (2002) 88] [Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 250]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1807 Troys erstes Eisenwerk, eine Nagelfabrik, wird am Ufer des Wyantskill durch John Brinkerhoff aus Albany gebaut.
1819 Der Eisenhändler John Brinckerhoff baut eine kleine Gießerei mit Walzwerk am Hudson River.
1826 Erastus Corning (später: Präsident der New York Central Railroad) aus Albany kauft das Eisenwerk und benennt es in "Albany Nail Factory" um.
1830 In diesem Jahr werden 825 Tonnen Eisen gewalzt. Davon werden 450 Tonnen zu Nägeln weiter verarbeitet.
1839 Umbenennung der "Albany Nail Factory" in "Albany Iron Works"
27.06.1852 Um 13.30 Uhr bricht ein Feuer aus, das große Teile des Werks und etwa 15 bis 20 Wohnhäuser zerstört. Vermutlich ist eine brennende Lampe in Terpentin gefallen, das von einem Faß abgezogen wurde. Der Schaden beträgt mindestens $150.000, und der Versicherungsbetrag ist nicht bekannt.
1855 Bau einer zweiten Schmiede und eines Walzwerks als Ziegelbau mit kreuzförmigem Grundriß
1861 Die Bleche für das Kriegsschiff "Monitor" werden gewalzt. Das Schiff lääft im Januar 1862 vom Stapel
1863 Bau eines weiteren Walzwerks




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Dampflokomotiven 1839 Beginn 1839 Ende (gesamt: 1 Lok) Insgesamt 1 Lokomotive gebaut.




Allgemeines

ZEIT1868
THEMAFirmenbeschreibung
TEXTIn 1819, John Brinckerhoff, then an enterprising iron merchant of Albany, erected on the Hudson River, now in the sixth ward of the City of Troy, a small Foundry and Rolling Mill, for converting Russia and Swede iron bars into plates. These plates were afterward cut partially into nails, each nail being headed by hand. This business he conducted successfully for several years, and the works, though small and insignificant compared with their present extent, were creditable to their founder, and among the first then in existence in the State of New York. From Brinckerhoff they were transferred to Corning & Norton, and subsequently to the present proprietors, Corning, Wiuslow & Co., who have enlarged them until they now rank among the most extensive in the United States. The works at present include three distinct rolling mills - one a large steam mill, containing 18 puddling furnaces, with a corresponding number of heating furnaces, five steam engines, one large Nasmyth hammer, two drawing-out hammers, four complete trains of rollers, Winslow's rotary squeezer with shears, roller lathes, wrought railroad-chair machinery, and other appurtenances; the whole within a brick building 365 feet long by 145 feet wide, covered with an iron-trussed roof. The second is a new forge and rolling mill, built in 1855. It is of brick, in the form of a cross, the greatest width and length being respectively 173 and 163 feet, and the wings 53 feet wide. This mill has an iron-trussed roof covered with slates. There are three chimney stacks, each 65 feet high, and each drawing from six puddling furnaces, making 18 puddling furnaces under this roof. The third rolling mill is worked by two water-wheels of great power, and contains three complete trains of rollers, with appropriate furnaces, and one steel converting furnace within a brick building 265 feet long by 119 feet wide. There are likewise upon the premises, and driven by water-power, a carriage-axle factory, 60 feet by 40; a spike factory, for making railroad, boat, and ship spikes, and boiler rivets; and a nail factory. Both of these latter branches of business are carried on within a brick building 300 feet long by 35 feet wide, and operated by a water-wheel 30 feet in diameter, the water-power being furnished by the "Wynantskill", affording a fall of about sixty-five feet, divided by three dams into as many successive falls. All the buildings of this fine establishment are of brick, with metal roofs, and constructed in the most substantial manner, being as nearly fire-proof as possible, the proprietors having been taught to "dread fire" by two conflagrations which consumed all the earlier erections. The number of acres attached is between forty and fifty, on which there are numerous buildings, constituting a small village in itself. The principal manager of these extensive works is John F. Winslow, Esq., whose experience in the working of metals is not excelled by any one engaged in the trade. He is also a man of genius, and the inventor of several highly valuable improvements to facilitate the working of iron. His rotary squeezers is a most effective machine, as one will do all the shingling for forty puddling furnaces, with but a trifle of expense for attendance, a small consumption of power, no waste of iron, and turning out the blooms very hot it facilitates the rolling. This preservation of tne heat, coupled with the fact that the bloom is very thoroughly upset while undergoing its rapid squeezing, is said to sensibly improve the quality of the iron. The firm of Corning, Winslow & Co. is now extensively engaged in the manufacture of puddled steel, which they commenced soon after the art of effecting it was made known in Germany about the year 1852. Few men in this country, if any, have devoted more attention to this snbject than Mr. Winslow. Their puddled or semi-steel is capable of bearing a tensile strain ranging from 90.000 to 108.000 pounds to the square inch, and is beyond a doubt equal in every respect to any made in Europe. This material is now largely made into locomotive tires, boiler plates, and other forms where great strength and density are required. It is further manufactured by cementation and put into spring-steel for carriages and rail-car purposes. Corning, Winslow & Co. we believe are at present the only makers of semi-steel in the United States. This firm give employment to about 750 persons, to whom are disbursed about $18.000 per month for wages. The annual product of the concern is about 15.000 tons, consisting of cut nails, spikes, rivets - band, bar, rod, and scroll iron, of all sizes - with large quantities of railroad-car axles, wagon axles, crowbars, and wrought-iron railroad chairs. They have a capital, invested in real estate, buildings and machinery, of about a half million of dollars. Within the year 1863 a very considerable addition was made to their works, consisting of another mill for bar and band iron, about nine additional puddling furnaces, machinery and buildings for making Horse and Mule Shoes, extensive machine shops, and several dwellings for the families of employees.
QUELLE[Bishop: History of American manufacturers 3 (1868) 250]