Marine Iron Works

Allgemeines

FirmennameMarine Iron Works
OrtssitzChicago (Ill.)
StraßeFullerton Avenue
Art des UnternehmensWerft und Maschinenfabrik
AnmerkungenEs gibt einen Schaufelraddampfer-Katalog von 1902. Gelegen um 1908 bei Clybourne und Southport, spÀter der nördliche Arm des Chicago River, zwischen Fullerton und Armitage Avenues. Um 1918: 2036-44 Dominick Street.
Quellenangaben[Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston, Mills List (Internet)] [Katalog "M" (1899) eBay] [Currey: Manufacturing and Wholesale Industries of Chicago, Vol. 3 (1918)]




Unternehmensgeschichte

Zeit Ereignis
1895 GrĂŒndung und Eintragung unter den Gesetzen des Staats Illinois. Die Gesellschaft kauft das Unternehmen von "C. P. Willard & Company" an der 2036-44 Dominick Street. die GebĂ€ude dieses Unternehmens umfassen ca. 50.000 square feet GrundflĂ€che.
Sept. 1901 Die Fabrik an der 2036-44 Dominick Street wird durch Feuer zerstört. Der Schaden betrÀgt 55.000 Dollar.
1902 Die Gesellschaft nimmt Besitz von zwei moderenen IndustriegebĂ€uden mit 26.000 square feet GrundflĂ€che und der besten Maschinenausstattung ĂŒberhaupt. Die neue Fabrik hat Produktionsmöglichkeiten fĂŒr Schiffsmaschinen von 25 bis 1500 PS und einem Gewicht von bis zu 70.000 Pfund.
1918 Erweiterung der Fabrik um 20.000 square feet




Produkte

Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
Schiffe 1902 Katalog 1902 Katalog  
Schiffsdampfkessel 1901 [Katalog No. 14 (1901)] 1901 [Katalog No. 14 (1901)] 1901 als Zweizugkessel (schottische) und stehende Röhrenkessel
Schiffsdampfmaschinen 1901 [Katalog No. 14 (1901)] 1918 [Currey: Mfg. ind. Chicago (1918)] 1901 auch Einkurbel-Tandem mit Zwei- und VierstÀnderrahmen und Zwilling mit zwei EinstÀnderrahmen. Mit Stephenson-Steuerung. 1918: "largest and finest types of triple-expansion marine engines"
Schiffsschrauben 1901 [Katalog No. 14 (1901)] 1901 [Katalog No. 14 (1901)]  




Allgemeines

ZEIT1918
THEMABeschreibung
TEXTSince the dawn of its history as a civilized community Chicago has found appreciation of its splendid water-transportation advantages, and in connection with the development of marine commerce on the Great Lakes there has been offered a great opportunity for the establishing in Chicago of important industrial enterprise for direct relevance to the lake-marine service. One of the foremost productive enterprises of this order is that of the extensive and well ordered Marine Iron Works, designers and builders of marine engines, boilers and machinery, ranging from ten to two thousand horse power, and attention is given also, under the most favorable of conditions and auspices, to other special marine work. The offices and manufacturing plant of this representative Chicago institution are situated at 2036-44 Dominick street. Here are produced the largest and finest types of triple-expansion marine engines, the output including various sizes and types and representing the maximum of excellence. The heavy-service and Triple Expansion fore and aft compound marine engines manufactured by the company are built for hard service and high steam pressure, and all, from the smallest to the largest, are of the substantial open-front "bar" guide design. The output includes also vertical tendem compound marine engines for small and medium steam craft, and these are specially applicable to hard-working boats operating on salt water or wherever economy of space is of paramount importance. In short, the company manufactures the ultimate types of engines for use in navigation on both fresh and salt water, and the business has developed to large volume in connection with vessels plying salt water as well as the Great Lakes and other mediums of inland navigation. Stern paddle-wheel engines are manufactured in both high-pressure and compound condensing types; the line of boilers includes the Clyde, the Scotch, the locomotive-firebox, the Westriver, the submerged-tube verticle and other marine types, and the concern also produces a great variety of special marine machinery and appurtenances, including condensing apparatus, machinery for South American countries, steel-frame boat hulls. propeller wheels, cargo hoists, steam capstans, tow-posts, test and centrifugal pumps, throttle valves, steering wheels, etc. Ample details concerning tho multifarious output are given in the catalogues and bulletins issued by the company and such data demand no reproduction in a publication of the province of the one here offered.

The Marine Iron Works of Chicago constitute an industrial institution that was founded in the year 1895, when the title appeared on the corporate charter obtained under the laws of Illinois, the original capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars having since been increased to seventy-five thousand. At the time of incorporation the following executive officers were chosen: Adlai T. Ewing, president; William G. Nourse, secretary and General Manager and James T. Hall, treasurer. The original functions of the company were designated as the manufacturing of small marine'engines and small steamboats. The new company purchased the plant, stock and business of C. P. Willard & Company, at 2036-44 Dominick street, the buildings of this plant affording about fifty thousand square feet of floor space. In September, 1901 the institution was destroyed by fire, with a loss of fifty-five thousand dollars. In the following year the company completed and took possession of two modern industrial buildings of mill construction the same having twenty-six thousand square feet of floor space and the best of mechanical equipment being installed throughout, the new plant having facilities for the manufacturing: of marine engines varying from twenty-five to fifteen hundred horse power and weighing as high as seventy thousand pounds. The concern now manufactures on a large scale marine engines more specially adapted to deep-sea navigation, and much of the output is used in vessels engaged in ocean traffic. The engines manufactured by this Chicago corporation represent the maximum of simplicity in construction, and efficiency and economy of operation, the splendid service given through their installation constituting the most effective advertising for the manufacturers. The company has its plant specially well equipped for the construction of knockdown steel bottoms for light-draft vessels, including tugs, and the concern has gained prestige for the production of sternwheel vessels of the lightest draft known in marine trade. Boats, engines and boilers manufactured by the company are now to be found in commission in virtually every important country in the world, and the average annual business is about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, while the output capacity of the plant makes provision for an appreciable increase of the business. An ample force of skilled workmen and assistant mechanics is employed and so great are the demands placed upon the factory that provisions are being made for the addition of twenty thousand additional floor space within the year 1918.
QUELLE[Currey: Manufacturing and Wholesale Industries of Chicago, Vol. 3 (1918)]