Union Iron Works


FirmennameUnion Iron Works
OrtssitzBangor (Maine)
StraßeOak Street
Art des UnternehmensEisenwerk
$AnmerkungenEntstanden durch Zusammenlegung der "Hinckley & Egery Iron Company" (s.d.) und der "Bangor Foundry and Machine Company". Lage (um 1898): Ecke Oak Street und Washington Street; eingezahltes Kapital: 150.000. Bezeichnet sich als "Machinists and Founders / Dealers in Mill and Steam Supplies". Ein GebÀude auf em Lageplan hat die Bezeichnung "Boiler Shop" - also vmtl. auch Kesselbau.
Quellenangaben[Katalog (um 1920) bei eBay] [12th annual report of the Bureau of Industrial and Labour Statistics for the State of Maine (1898) 126]


Produkt ab Bem. bis Bem. Kommentar
allgemeiner Maschinenbau 1898 [12th annual report] 1898 [12th annual report] "display of mill machinery"
Dampfkessel? 1920 "Boiler Shop" in [Katalog (um 1920) eBay] 1920 "Boiler Shop" in [Katalog (um 1920) eBay]  
Dampfmaschinen 1898 [12th annual report] 1898 [12th annual report] vmtl., da "display of ... engines"
Gußeisen 1898 [12th annual report] 1920 "Foundry" in [Katalog (um 1920) eBay]  
Riemenscheiben 1898 [12th annual report] 1898 [12th annual report]  
Transmissionslager 1898 [12th annual report] 1898 [12th annual report]  
Ventile 1920 [Katalog (um 1920) eBay] 1920 [Katalog (um 1920) eBay]  


Zeit gesamt Arbeiter Angest. Lehrl. Kommentar
1898 75       Tagesverdienst por BeschĂ€ftigtem: $2,20

Firmen-Änderungen, ZusammenschĂŒsse, Teilungen, Beteiligungen

Zeit = 1: Zeitpunkt unbekannt

Zeit Bezug Abfolge andere Firma Kommentar
1 Zusammenschluß, neuer Name zuvor Hinckley & Egery Iron Co. vor 1898


TEXTThe largest foundry and machine shop in Eastern Maine is the plant of what is now the Union Iron Works at Bangor. This plant represents the combination of the Hinckley & Egery Iron Company and the Bangor Foundry and Machine Company. The union has made many changes and improvements necessary at their extensive plant at the comer of Oak and Washington streets. Under the energetic direction of General Manager Penney, these alterations have been in progress during the summer and fall and are now approaching completion. The boiler department has been thoroughly repaired and many new tools added. The machine shop has been extended and a new tool room constructed. It is a model department in every particular. The tools are arranged most systematically and the equipment has been increased by a fine lathe from the Putnam Machine Company. In the machine shop there is a complete re-arrangement of tools. There are five planers of varying sizes, the largest having a capacity of 49 inches square by 20 feet long. The blacksmith shop has been moved and the place formerly occupied by it is now a part of the machine shop, and here are located ten lathes which swing from 10 to 120 inches. The numerous patterns from the old plant of the Bangor Foundry & Machine Company have been placed in the third story of the stone building and are now easily accessible. To the north of the stone building a new rack has been built for shafting and upwards of sixty tons of shafting are to be seen there. A large amount of space is devoted to the display of mill machinery, pulleys, engines, hangers, and everything that is in demand for mill equipment. The store and supply department is in the most northerly building of their extensive plant and is a model of its kind. The building is 200 feet long by 45 feet wide, and has been
thoroughly repaired. There are about 1,500 pockets and these in many cases are subdivided, making in reality about 2.500 different compartments for the storage of the vast amount of mill supplies to be found here. The most thorough system is used and anything that may be desired can be readily found. A new foundry has been built. This is 50 by 86 feet in size with an ell 60 by 60, and a slated roof. With the completion of the new foundry there will be two furnaces instead of one. There is also a complete brass foundry, where melting is done every day. With the completion of these extensive improvements the Union Iron Works will have one of the largest and best equipped
establishments of its kind in New England. The store and mill supply is without its equal this side of Boston. The capital stock is 150,000, all paid in. The average number of hands is seventy-five the year round. The average daily wages per man is about 2.25.
QUELLE[12th annual report of the Bureau of Industrial and Labour Statistics for the State of Maine (1898) 126]